Monday, April 11, 2011

Week 37 Reflections...

Wow.....It's been 37 weeks since I landed in Anchorage to start my journey teaching here.

I feel totally different. I feel like I'm more in control of my life. True, there's many things I can't control....the weather, the power, the water, and my students home lives...AND I really have only decided my life in terms of one year at a time....so I can't tell you where I'll be in five years....Alaska? Maybe.....Akiak? Maybe.....

But that's where I feel the most control. In California.....I had everything planned out. I was going to teach for this many years....have a family, buy a house....and none of that happened. I spent more time preparing for my life rather than living it. Now, I just fly by the seat of my pants, and I am having a ball.

I don't think I am any braver than the average person for coming out here. Just a little wilder (fine - crazier) than the rest for trying it. I was in Bethel yesterday and was told about a family who never even got off the plane they were on when they told the pilot to turn around and fly them back. That's crazy! But people like that are not what we need out here.

Yes, I have experienced some negativity. And one of my friendships has suffered due to someone's pettiness....but, it showed me people's true characters....and for that, I am actually grateful. I am not a perfect person, and I have my flaws (shocking, I know, but it's true) but if you are going to judge me for something I haven't done...then you don't need to be in my life. If you want to think the worst about me, kindly step aside cause I don't need you blocking my path. I'm going to move on and be glad you are no longer trying to pull me down. And if you don't like me for something I've done.....I hope you have never made a mistake in your life before you judge mine is all I can say.

Okay, so being out here has made me feel tougher than before. I've spent days without power or water....one time no power AND water.....I've bathed with river water....felt a wind chill of 25 below....I've flown in bush planes so often, it's not a big deal. I've gone over the ice road twice (the last time I didn't get sick!!!) in a truck.....once on a boat....

I've added to my list of animals seen:
moose
eagle
caribou
wolf tracks (by the airstrip in Akiak)
ravens

I can say some phrases in Yup'ik...and understand a few more.....

Personally, I've made a ton of friends...the coffeehouse guy & I are just friends...but that was sweet and special, and unexpected...maybe the next man I visit the coffeehouse with will be more of a keeper.

Which starts me looking toward my immediate future: I'm moving into a house by myself next year...actually, I'll most likely start the moving process at the end of next month...I don't expect it to take long....I'm just moving across the boardwalk.

I'm debating on team teaching with 3rd grade next year...I'll be the reading teacher and he'll be the math. It was my idea that I mentioned as a joke on a bad math day. But the idea has taken off and everyone seems to love it. I haven't made up my mind...I can see some good points and some bad....

I am also teaching summer school this year. I will be visiting California for a bit and then again after summer school gets out. I will get to meet the new teachers before they start. And I want to reorganize my classroom. I left it how I got it and I don't like it. Now I know what to expect and I want to make it mine.

Last night I went to before 10:30 and the sun was still out....and when I woke up the sun had already risen....
sunrise: 7:34 (it's very light before the sunrise - in my defense!!!)
sunset: 9:55 (again....seemed pretty light out to me!!!)

I still have 5 weeks of school left....but I'm starting to feel I've come a bit full circle. This weekend marks a year ago when I first landed in Alaska for the first time to go to the job fair in Anchorage and was interviewed for my job here. What an amazing year it has been! And there are more amazing moments ahead....

Sometimes, I have to tell myself: I moved to Alaska! I live out in the middle of nowhere.....and it rocks!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It surely does rock Ms Lara!!! You are an inspiration and an all around wonderful person. Hooray for you and this amazing journey you are on. :) Can't wait to catch up when you come back to Cali.
Hugs.
A xoxooxox

Sharon Angle said...

I would have loved to do something like what you did when I was younger, but I think you have grown so much. I wish you luck for the coming future. I love reading your blog!!!

Jared MacKenzie said...

Clare is reading your blog, Lara.

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...