Sunday, May 8, 2011

One Door Closing.....

This is the last week of my 5th year teaching......

And while I'm used to the winding down of school....getting report cards done, cleaning out desks, and the rest of the classroom, this time is a little bit more bittersweet......

Because right now, my roommate is packing up her things.....only 3 elementary teachers are coming back to Akiak.....we are getting 4 new teachers, a new principal, a new counselor, and losing our athletic director....granted he and my roommate are going to the next village, and it's not really goodbye....and even that one teacher I don't like is going too.....but it's that this year is really coming to an end....and there won't be another one with the same cast of characters....

I should be packing too really. I am moving to a new place as well. It's uber tiny.....in fact, I think my old studio in Benicia was bigger! But it's bright (now that they ripped out the old carpet!) and I should be very happy. It's across the path from my current house. I would say I'm moving 50 feet away. And I'm not sure when I have to move....they have to paint the houses and I've asked they they paint my new house first, but we'll see what happens and when that house will be ready.

I also won't have internet access at home anymore until the fall when they process internet requests for housing. So I'm hoping I can keep my key to the school so I can use the school's internet, plus, I'll need the key for summer school. And I want to re-organze my classroom this summer. So I'll need to be at the school quite a bit. I've sent out an e-mail, let's hope someone gets back to me rather quickly...

But back to packing......yeah, my plan is to throw some stuff in a tote, carry it over to the new house & put it away, then repeat the process.....I mean, it's only 50 feet! And I may have plenty of time to move (although, is 2 weeks plenty of time???).....I've asked about when I have to move too. So we'll see what happens.....

I am getting excited...next week I'll be in Salt Lake City....then.....California...for a few days anyways....but it will be good to see everyone!

sigh....I guess I better pack the stuff I'm not using right away.....my roommate's rolling her eyes at me.....

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...