Monday, September 3, 2012

What Happened to August?

Did I post nothing for a whole month? Whoops!

So school started, and it was a bit rocky. I like my kids but last year their teacher left for the holidays and never came back.....which left them pretty traumatized. They had a hard year and so it's a period of adjustment for all us. They have to get to know me and understand me. And I have to get to know them too.

I believe in building relationships with my students. And I work hard to do that. Things are getting better but every day has been bumpy.

A new change this year (which is due to start next week) is that I'll be teaching a combo 2/3 math class during the math block. My plan is to start with the 2nd graders while an aide works with the 3rd grade. I'll handle the direct instruction while the aide works with the spiral review and extra practice. Then I'll switch and work with the 3rd grade while the aide takes the 2nd grade. I've never taught a combo class before, but I was in one when I was in the 3rd grade in California. They never cover stuff like that in Teacher College, but they really should. Because if there's a better way, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm taking another class for my Reading degree. This one is called Developing Reading and deals with....well, let me just copy the summary: The reading process, emergent literacy and models for teaching reading are central themes in this course. Content includes theories of language development, research on language, cognition, and language systems as they relate to reading.

Normally, this type of class is not my thing. So I wasn't looking really forward to taking it. My first homework was to review the theories of Skinner, Piaget, Vygotsky, etc. The big guns of child development. I didn't remember much from my child development classes so I had no clue what each guy was famous for. I DO remember Maslow and his Hierarchy of Needs. But the rest I was quite rusty on.

As I began reading, I found this stuff much more interesting. After having spent 6 years as a classroom teacher and 8 years working with children, I was able to relate so much better. So maybe this class won't be so boring after all. Maybe I was mistaken.....that would be nice.

So my time will be busy with teaching, learning, walking Dakota.....and I have my sewing night once a week! I plan on finishing India's qespeq and I plan on making 3 more, including one using some Star Wars material!

Akiak is very different without the Millers. My social base has left and that's different. I don't feel sad but I tend to reflect on the changes. I wrote a status on facebook, how I took my friends for granted, and I guess that got mistaken for me being sad & feeling sorry for myself...which is not the case. Like I said, I like to be reflective on my life (scared I will miss out on one of life's lessons) and that thought came out of one of those moments.

There were many things about my life in California that I took for granted. I think fate brought me here for many reasons and one of those reasons was to really start to value the little things in life. And see how much harder things can be. I can't remember what I used to complain about when I taught in California......it seems so silly now. Things seem more in perspective now.

One of the things in life that makes me happy is my dog. His winter coat is coming in and he's getting fluffier. I swear, he was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It sounded crazy at the time, but I'm so glad I got him! He's so cuddly and funny! The cats are starting to like him more too!

So that's been life in a nutshell. Dakota, teaching, reading, watching movies, facebooking, sewing....it's not a big life but a good one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog. I briefly met the teacher in a summer workshop, who I think left and was wondering why she didn't continue her blog after Dec. Now I know why.

Michael Virgin said...

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy you post. I am actually doing my Demonstration Teaching right now, just started my 4th week, and when I graduate I plan on attending the callout in April. I really hope to teach in Alaska once I am finished and your blogs, with all the good and bad, just want me to do so even more. I really want to find a place where I can teach and stay in one place for my entire career and really hope Alaska is that place. I know that a lot of people seem to come there saying the same thing, as I have read on other post and websites, but I am 42, will be 43 in January, and know at that age my career may be short lived, if you can call 20 years, hopefully, short-lived, but I just love the sound of the adventures you have there. Thank you for allowing me the privilege of being able to follow your post on here as I enjoy knowing what is going on in that part of the country.

Michael Virgin said...

p.s. I forgot to say I am getting my teaching Degree from Western Governors University - Indiana.

miss ruark said...

Thank you for your comments and support!

miss ruark said...

Michael ~ Rural Alaska really needs good people who want to make it a life out here.

Rural Alaska isn't for everyone, but there was a time in my life I would have put myself in that list.

A sense of humor and a sense of adventure are the two most important things you need to bring up here.

That and you should really care about people, especially the kids...that's important too.

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...