Monday, November 19, 2012

The Ice Cometh....

Compared to last week, this week was far more relaxing and uneventful....

But I did have my first ice storm. Now, I had no idea what an ice storm actually was....basically, it's rain that freezes when it touches down....so every where you look is covered with ice. Akiak is now one giant ice rink.

I'm lucky I have my cleats, so walking around isn't such a scary thing. And the ice storm didn't cause any damage....

except my 4 wheeler is completely frozen and was parked in a puddle, so the tires are now frozen.

I am going to try to defrost it on Wednesday.....fingers crossed!

My week was pretty quiet. I taught, I watched movies....and I slept some. It's been so cold outside (-10 degrees) that I've been staying inside most of the time.

Not every week is full of adventure.....but I can't complain. I have water, power, & heat.....pretty spoiled these days.

And then I have a giant dog who thinks it's a lap dog....Dakota will lay his front legs on my and take up the rest of the love seat....and then instant warmth!!

Dakota stretched out 

I really do enjoy having a big dog. Except that I can't leave anything on the counters, because he can reach them and grab stuff. And what he's not able to reach, my kitty Lola, will help knock stuff off the counter. So basically, my counters have to be cleared up.

I do feel bad about living in such a small space though. There are certain places Dakota has to back out of, instead of just turning himself around. He's so long that if we are both on the bed, and his head is level with my own, his body comes all the way to my knees. And now, his head is at my hip level, so I just have to reach out to pet him.

Well, that's it for this week....I should have more to tell after my thawing out the grizzly (hopefully not too much of an adventure) and my few days off for Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...