Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Grizzly Awakens....

And with that, I mean my 4 wheeler. I have a Yamaha Grizzly 350 that's been covered up and sleeping this past winter. I haven't been driving it since the temperature dropped back in November or December. 


The Mud Spattered Grizzly



I really wanted a 4 wheeler when the snow started to melt. Every year in Akiak at this time, the area surrounding my teacher housing complex becomes a giant pond/lake. And we become an island. The other thing that happens is the snow becomes mushy underneath, so when you step down, you fall through the deep layers. And because not all the snow is melted, it also means that on the bottom of those lakes/puddles is slick ice. I have since learned to walk on ice, but that first year was terrifying. I remember one teacher sticking his head out of the window to comment on my slow, slow progression through the puddle. 

Here's a picture from my first year (2011) of the Literacy Leader demonstrating how deep the "puddle" in front of the house was:

I kid you not....

So now that the snow was melting, I really wanted to get my grizzly back up and running. The problem was that the wheels were in several inches of ice. I'm sure that there are all sorts of methods to defrost wheels in ice. My method was very effective. I waited a couple of days for the sun to thaw them out for me. And it worked nicely. Sadly, as I type this, the nice cover for the grizzly that protected it all winter is still somewhat encased in ice.

Back in November, someone wanted to use my 4 wheeler, however it was stuck in ice in another part of the complex. And instead of asking me if they could use it, they just offered to get it unstuck for me. And I was happy to let them. However, the ignition had frozen and was just stuck. So, some friends of mine helped me get the right part (help = do it for me) and then another friend helped change out the key thingy part (again, help = do it for me). So the grizzly was all set to go, but I just needed to get gas. And then the temperature dropped and I had no desire to freeze driving around. I could have because there are a lot of 4 wheelers zipping around Akiak year round, but I didn't feel like it.

But this time....this time, I dug out my grizzly myself! (And then gave up.) And today, a friend helped me (help = do it for me) get some gas. And the grizzly started right up and I was able to drive around Akiak. I even took some things to the dump!

I feel so tough driving my grizzly. Remember, I was a total city girl and a nerd. Talk to me about movies, comic books, books....I'm your gal, but outdoorsy stuff? Oh no. I didn't like camping because you couldn't shower every day. So, it was completely out of my character to move to the bush. And add a 4 wheeler/ATV/quadrunner/whatever you call it to the mix? Someone called me a free spirit the other day, and I loved it! Getting out of my comfort zone was the best thing to ever happen to me.

And driving through Akiak was so out of my comfort zone! Driving through slushy snow, packed snow and the road was not a problem. Driving through icy snow puddles was something different. I was sliding and fish tailing.....I got the hang of it, but I actually told myself out loud, "This is good for you, Lara!" And then I went through this thick, muddy mud and again I was slipping and fishtailing. And I was dragging a sled behind me with boxes for the dump. At one point, there was a lake in front of me. I was sure it was deep and I was going to flood that sled. But it was trash anyways, so why not? I was pretty mud splattered myself afterwards though.

Spattered Jacket
Kids got a big kick seeing me driving around. I remember last year, when I first bought my grizzly, I was driving it around Akiak (which is only 2 miles, so it's really not that much of a drive.) when one of my former students shouted at me, "Looking good, Ruark!" and gave me a thumbs up.

One thing did not survive the winter freeze: my stupid gas can. The spout part cracked and when I went to pour in the gas, I spilled. I need to figure out a way to get my gas into the grizzly without dumping a whole bunch of it. Gas is $6.90 a gallon. OR maybe I can ask someone to "help" me. That would work too.

Having my own vehicle gives me such a feeling of freedom and independence. Last Saturday, I wasn't able to borrow a school vehicle to load my totes & boxes up to take them to the post office to mail off. So I had to drag my 4 totes, 3 boxes, and 1 poster tube to the post office on a sled. Now, I don't have to try to borrow anything. I can take my own stuff to the post office. I don't need rides anywhere. I don't have to wait for people to bring me anything. 

While I was test driving my grizzly after his hibernation, I drove up to the airstrip and a plane was unloading their stuff. The guy waved me over because I had pulled up just as they were taking out my box of groceries. So I drove it home myself.

The Grizzly and I will soon be parting ways, as I am selling him before I leave. However, I fully plan on keeping him up and running through those puddles until I leave!

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...