Monday, June 16, 2014

30 Day Challenge

I am going to be frightfully honest right now: I don't have a support system for my weight loss goals. I can stuff my face and ditch the gym and I will not hear a single word about it. 

Don't get me wrong, I have people who will tell me "Good job!" when I am on track. But my problem is that I am rarely on track. And that is what I really need to work on: how can I stay on track?

So I have to look at myself, my strengths and weaknesses. If I try to do something that is not in my nature, like an online support group, as great as that group may be, it's not going to work for me.

So, that being said, what are some things I thrive on? Doing something "crazy" that not a lot of other people would enjoy ~ yes. Publicly challenging myself ~ I was very successful when I attempted a 28 day food challenge. 

And so I have decided to challenge myself for 30 days and blog about it. Because I need to be successful and I feel this plays to my strengths (vanity a strength? when you need to lose weight, it is!)



I have weighed and measured myself (which I am NOT posting online) but here are the rules of my challenge, keeping in mind that I have a camping trip and a trip to a Thirty-One Conference in Denver planned.

30 Day Challenge ~ Phase 1



* Exercise Every Day: When I am home, this means attending my gym (killer cardio kickboxing classes!) 5x a week and doing yoga 2x a week. When I am traveling: I can hike or use the pool/gym at the hotel. 

* No fast food, and no ordering pizza! I will allow myself a few slices when I am at a pizza parlor as long as I have a salad as well. When I am traveling, I will either pre-plan my snacks and/or choose healthy options like fruit, nuts, or protein bars if needed.

* No soda. I will replace soda with iced tea and crystal light. I will get my caffeine from tea and not soda or Starbucks (not that I drink a lot of coffee but when I do, it's loaded with bad stuff)

* No candy bars, cookies, or cupcakes. I will allow myself a reasonable dessert (paying attention to portion size & calories) but those big 3 items I tend to eat when I am not hungry and they are just bad.

* Water ~ I will drink a minimum of 3 bottles a day (I have several different types, it doesn't matter to me what type but I have to go through 3.)

Since I don't really have issues with bread or chips (as long as I don't buy them, I don't crave them), I didn't feel the need to put them into the challenge. I am attempting to eat cleaner and make healthier choices but this is my challenge. 

I intend to post updates regularly about how the challenge is going, especially when I am traveling. At the end of 30 days, I will post how many pounds & inches I have lost. 

Day 1 Starts Today!

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...