Thursday, November 13, 2014

The 'Eh' of Reading....

I love reading great books. 

I love reading stories that suck me in, leaving me unaware as to how long I've been reading until I notice my hands are hurting from holding a book/kindle in one position for so long. 

I love book hangovers ~ where I've stayed up waaaay to late reading but the book was so engrossing that I lost track of time and therefor totally worth it the next day.

I hate it when I look at my books/kindle and think: "I should be reading."

I have at least 50 books that I own in my To Be Read pile (TBR for short) so there's plenty of choices for a book to read. 

But I can't pick any of those up right now, because I'm stuck reading a book that I don't really care about. 

I envy people who can set the book down and never pick it up again. I am not one of those, once I start a book, unless there is a big life event happening (there's only 3 books I have never finished and moving thousands of miles was why I stopped reading them), I have to finish the book. Even if I don't like it.

So I trudge through it. I read it when I remember to read. I pick it up for a chapter and feel accomplished that I went a little bit further to the end. I revel in finding extra stuff at the end of the book, because that means less I have to read. 

Finishing the book becomes a chore. 

But when I finish the book, I feel like I really accomplished something. I got through it. It's finished. 

Then I reward myself with a quick read silly book, you know, something fun that I don't have to think or feel too hard about.

And then I look to my TBR pile for the next great book (hopefully).

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...