Saturday, October 9, 2010

Mystery of the Dead Prairie Chicken

Well, I don't know whether to be creeped out or flattered or what.....

So I had to work today, it was a teacher work day. When I came home from work, there were a couple of pieces of candy on the handrail on my porch. I thought some kids must have come by to visit and forgot them. Then I noticed a piece of candy sitting on the door handle. So I figured someone was leaving my roommate and I a little treat.

Later, one of my co-workers called me to ask if he and his family could borrow some movies. I have my fair share of movies. I said sure, come on over....

When I opened my door, Mr. O asks me, "Do dead birds freak you out???" And in the middle of the sentence I had noticed on my porch was in fact a dead bird. A bigger dead bird, mind you, not your garden parakeet sized bird. I think I just said, "Oh my god! I don't know!!"

Someone/something left a dead bird on my porch. It wasn't bloodied or dropping feathers...it was just a dead bird. A tarminac (no clue how to spell it) otherwise like a prairie chicken. Just laying on my porch.

What do I make of it? I don't think it means anything bad, because these birds are hunted...and eaten here. So why waste something you'd eat and leave it in perfect condition to scare someone.

So is it a gift?

Or is it even from a human? Have my bush dog whisper's powers moved from finding puppies to getting presents?

What does this mean? If anything? Does someone like me, what?

Or did a dumb prairie chicken kill itself on my front door? I don't see many of them flying around but it could happen.

Or maybe this has nothing to do with me....I'm not the only woman who lives in this house. So even if it means something bad, it may not be for me.

I just don't know......and it's killing me, this not knowing!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the parie chicken was just passing by and hungry. When it saw the little candies all over your porch it couldn't help itself and...well I hate to say it but I think the chicken just choked to death.

There must be a few bad jokes in there somewhere I think.

Brian

miss ruark said...

You may be right....I just might have been the instrument of his death & final resting place!!!

Two Laners said...

Hi Lara,
This is Steve Tremain, Linda's husband. I read your blog religiously and love it. Thanks for letting me live vicariously. Next time you get to Bethel say Hi to my doctor friend Bill Eggiman. I trained him!

And I think you are talking about a ptarmigan. They change feather color in the winter to white, but in most of Alaska they are called 'chickens' because ptarmigan is too hard to say and spell!

Keep writing!!

Unknown said...

Okay, I was thinking exactly what Brian said! Choked on the delicious candy!! It's how I'm gonna go for sure!!

Love you pal!!!!

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...