Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Harsh Truth....

I want to start off by saying, I feel slightly uncomfortable that my post today is not going to be about 9/11. On the 10th anniversary, I feel that I should be reflecting and writing a post in memory of that day, but I don't feel that I could do it justice. I was like most of the world that day....watching the news in shock and horror. I watched in fear and wanted so badly to do something. Like many of my fellow Americans, I donated blood, in hopes that I could contribute something to help. I still cry when I look at pictures of the towers....burning, falling, and then just rubble....I still cry when I hear the messages of love that went out from the victims.....I still cry when I see pictures of rescue dogs trying to find survivors...yes, even 10 years later, I still cry.


Because my stats tell me that I have readers from outside the United States, I did want you to know, that I was deeply affected that day. And I, like many people am still haunted......


But my post isn't going to be about that day. My blog is about my adventures, and life is still an adventure. Lately, we've been having some water issues. Meaning, most of this last week (including even as I write), there has been no water. It's frustrating not to have water to clean with. I do have water to drink and water to cook with if I need it, but I really want to do some laundry and shower. When the water was working, I missed my chance to do laundry....which makes me want to make some catty comment about my duplex-mate getting all of HIS laundry done.....but I will refrain (cause that statement alone was catty). 


Anyways, right now is a hard time to live here. The water makes it annoying but life is still manageable. But some of my colleagues are struggling with the harsh realities of life and that makes it tough. 


I really do like it out here. I love the people. I love the raw beauty of nature. I love living the simple life. I love get-togethers where people talk and laugh...yeah, there's some venting, but you get it out and you laugh about it. 


I really understand that it's hard out here, I really do. And some people just can't hack it out here. Some would never want to ever try. And I don't blame them. Cause even when there's water, power, internet, and working phones - life is tough.


I haven't really talked about the harshness on my blog....I've hinted about it. I wanted my blog to be a reflection of my life....which for the most part is positive. I am a positive person. But I feel like people have come out to be a bush teacher, who never should have (and those are the ones who don't stay)....or they should have been more prepared. 


So here are the facts: 1) this is a dry village - meaning there is no drinking allowed 2) there are a lot of drunks (bootleggers bring in a lot of booze) 3) drinking is part of the symptom of a bigger cycle of abuse (in my opinion - so it's not actually a fact) 4) there are drugs present in the village as well 5) there are a lot of children (not all children mind you) who are affected by alcohol, drugs, and abuse 6) there is a high suicide rate among young people


Here are some of the ways children are affected: *children may have been born with fetal alcohol affects or syndrome *children may be in a house where drinking, violence, etc is going on (where school is THE safe place) *children maybe the victims of abuse or neglect *children maybe experimenting with alcohol, drugs, huffing, etc. themselves


What does this mean for a teacher? Well, your classroom may look like many students are suffering from ADHD and/or are emotionally disturbed. And here's the big issue: if you as a teacher are unprepared to handle that.....you will fail. You will fail and blame the kids, the community, and even the school itself. And that my friends, is the harsh truth. 


The truly sad thing is that it doesn't have to be like that. Life out here is hard enough without adding to it. I am by no means perfect, and I still struggle with certain behaviors. But I don't struggle all the time. And here's my secret: Robert MacKenzie and his book: Setting Limits in the Classroom. He came to Benicia Unified School District for an inservice and he changed my classroom. I heard him speak and I read his book and that's all it took. 


My second year teaching was my first time teaching second grade. I had two students who were challenging me: one was affected by alcohol and the other was emotionally disturbed. I was trying everything I knew....and nothing was working. I started trying his techniques....and they worked. I am not struggling anymore with discipline like I was. Teaching is still a challenge sometimes and kids still test me, but it's not bleeding me dry or burning me out. And I don't take it personally. 


In fact, this week I experienced one if not the most gratifying moment I've ever had as a teacher: I was working with my 3rd graders for reading, and we were reading a very dry play. It was a challenging read, and I expected it to be a slow, slow process. One of my students was a struggling reader last year, but he/she always volunteered to read aloud. Something I never discouraged and just helped him/her along. Well, the same student this year volunteers to read a large part of the play and of course I let them. I was totally taken aback when the student didn't need my help with the words...in fact, I looked around the room and all the students were following along (even those who's parts were over!!!) and they were reading with expression & emotion....it was perfect. It was better than I hoped for. It was like anything you would expect happening in any classroom in America. And it was something that people have said can't happen here. 


Life out here is what you make it. It can be horrible. It can be fun. It can be beautiful. It can be dirty. It can be draining. It can be fulfilling. There can be laughter. There can be tears. There can be laughter through the tears. It can be all of that at once hitting you in the face. Life out here can knock you down. But life out here can also pick you up. Life here in Akiak can be the greatest adventure you've ever known, and make you so glad you came......it's all up to you......


BTW: I decided to change my dog's name to Dakota....I should be getting him next weekend!!!


And here's my aerogarden before I harvested.....



1 comment:

Michelle said...

I know I couldn't have said it better Lara!

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...