Saturday, September 3, 2011

I'm in Love!

If you're my friend on Facebook, then you already know what this post is about: I got puppy! His name is Diesel and he's an Alaskan Malamute. He's still too young to leave his mommy, so I will be getting him either on or around the 17th. Here's his picture:

He's gonna be a big boy. After reading about malamutes, I realized that I could train and raise this baby boy into a wonderful dog. I am so excited about getting him. I have a bunch of pictures of him, but I haven't met him yet in person. They will end up shipping him to me. I'll be picking him up in Bethel.

I have a couple of fears though...one small and one rather large one: 1) the stuff I ordered for him won't come in on time (or at least the food I ordered) and 2) parvo is in the village and my baby boy won't have all his shots yet. I ordered his shots (or rather a coworker who raises puppies ordered it for me) but I've decided for his protection, he's going to have to stay inside for a few weeks until he gets the second batch of his shots. I'm going to use training pads and take him out in the mud room (artic porch), that way he learns not to go in the house. But I am nervous. I hope everything goes okay.

I've pretty much had puppy on the brain most of this week. I think next weekend I'll move my cats' food & water and start getting them ready for some upcoming changes.

My cat, Daisy, has just gotten over my moving her into a new house. She tends to hold grudges. It took her almost 6 months to forgive me for getting Lola. So I can just imagine her being very mad at me for getting a puppy. But I'm hoping her anger won't last too long.

This next week I have two inservices. It's moose season and most of the boys & men will be hunting. So they close the school for a few days. One group of teachers from another village will be coming to Akiak for the day. One of those teachers is one of my very favorite people. He's hilarious. So I'm hoping to have a lot of fun on that day.

And here's a picture of my Aerogarden today. I'm surprised how fast the plants are growing. So enjoy! Until next week......

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...