Sunday, November 27, 2011

Never Just One Thing.....

Well, my aunt passed away last Saturday. It was a long illness and I've hoped she's found peace. And to quote Forrest Gump: that's all I have to say about that.

The last two weeks has brought cold, cold, COLD temps to Akiak. Wind chills between -35 to -45 degrees.....the other day, I took Dakota out for a walk and it was -18. Dakota had a blast jumping and digging in the snow. I find as long as I am bundled up, I'm fine.

But I have to admit......one day, I woke up and it was cold. It was when the temps first dropped and I had no clue just how cold it was. I looked online and read -8 but feels like -28.....and I seriously contemplated calling in sick just to avoid the walk to school. I sucked it up and two days later, I got a stomach bug and had to stay home. That's what I get for making jokes like that.

This was my second Thanksgiving away from home. My aunt had just passed and I was sorry to not be there for my family. I ended up going to a work event, then I hung out at a friend's house playing cards. She let me bring Dakota and there were two other dogs there. Dakota wore himself out playing non-stop but he had fun. And so did I.

The next day, I went to the Millers for dinner. Then the group I had played cards with the night before came by (2 couples) and we all played UNO.....but we played pretty cut-throat and one round took forever.

I am very grateful that I can bring my puppy with me. He's getting so big. The housebreaking is coming along. This morning he woke me up to take him outside! Or he just wanted my attention....either way, it works.

Dakota has gotten so big! He's over 50 pounds but I'm not sure by how much. I got our plane tickets booked and we have a very long layover in Seattle but we will both be arriving in California on Christmas Eve. I hope everyone's ready for Dakota!! I am looking forward to introducing my family to Dakota, especially my niece India. He's a great puppy, and I really want to show him off. It's still hard to remember that he's just a baby and not not a dog yet, despite his size.

This next weekend, I have to go to Anchorage for a work retreat. Dakota will be staying with the Millers while I'm gone. It's my first time leaving him behind. I know he'll be fine, but I don't like the idea of leaving him. I am looking forward to shopping though, and going out to dinner. And maybe a movie.....yeah, that part's awesome!

I had wanted to scan a picture of my aunt and I when I was a baby, but I wasn't able to......so here's a pic of my Aunt Kim......

Kim E

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...