Sunday, October 12, 2014

Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall.....

I've had a break through of sorts.....


Double Take Tote
I bought a new bag.......through my Thirty-One business....and this bag has changed everything. You know the saying a new pair of shoes can change your life? Well, so can a new bag...kinda.

This bag is a tote that normally is not my style. It's sleek & sophisticated. And lately, I am not. I am comfort & baggy. Some days possibly even frumpy.

But I wanted this bag. So I got it. I had no idea what I was going to use it for but nonetheless, this was going to be my bag. I had it monogrammed. I have never had anything monogrammed...that's so not me.


But this bag is amazing. But the problem is.....I don't match the bag. But I wanted to match this bag. I wanted to be stylish. I wanted to up the way I dress.

So, I decided to invest in some new clothes....new work clothes. And I decided to start dressing better. I went online to research what was going on in the world of plus size fashion because I was trying to hide the size of my curves and I was just looking frumpy. 

Turns out, a plus size fashion blog I read said to accentuate your curves & not to hide them. I stood in the mirror and took a good look. Instead of looking to criticize, I looked at my shape and found something beautiful.

I have an hour glass shape. My waist is always smaller than my hips and shoulders. And no matter how big I have gotten, my waist has stayed smaller. But I was hiding my smaller waist. I was hiding my hourglass! Because I hated my stomach.....but really, I love that hourglass! It makes me feel sexy & curvy....it makes me feel better about myself. 

I vowed to hide it no longer!

I found a couple of websites for plus sizes that I felt were cute and complimented me and my style....kicking it up a notch but showing off my hourglass. 

I haven't lost any weight but when I wear those new clothes, not only do I feel better in them, but I get so many compliments.....and I have been getting more door held open for me too! I feel better about myself. I don't feel fat & frumpy.....I feel womanly & curvy. 

Dangerous Curves Ahead!
Not only do I match my bag...but I feel like I match me.

Some lessons I've learned from this:

1) Loving one part of my body has made me appreciate other things about my body & looks.

2) Dressing to show off my shape actually made me feel better

3) I didn't have to lose weight to feel better about myself

4) Investing money in some new clothes is a good thing


I still want to lose weight but it's not because I want to look better anymore. Cause I already do!

Cheers!

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...