Sunday, December 17, 2017

I'll Just Sit Here and Get Comfy....

I promised weekly updates and by god, you're going to get weekly updates.

I'm not in the mood to write about my adventures though. I saw the new Star Wars movie last night and I thought about talking about my adventures with Star Wars but even that leaves something to be desired. And really, I haven't had any REAL Star Wars adventures. They do have a Star Wars cruise with the Disney Cruise Lines but Star Wars commercialized to that level may not work for me.

I lit my candles and decided to write. And then it hit me: I'll write a quick post about Hygge.

What is Hygge? Well, check out the picture below. It's cool, I'll wait.



Sounds awesome, right (It's a Danish concept)? Connecting with friends and family more, being comfy by a roaring fire (or in my case, candles. I even have some fake ones kitty level for safety), and just being more mindful. 

My journey started a few weeks ago, although I often curl up with a comforter and a book. My sister-in-love told me about it. I pintrested it and the rest was history. 

I started decluttering my house, bringing out my candles and scent warmers. Looking around my house now, I see the flickering glow of candle light, the soft pink glow from my Himalayan Salt Lamp, and the outline of a moose in my Scentsy warmer. I've got my books next to me, ready to start reading, and a kitty curled up next to me on the comforter I have wrapped around my legs. My giant dog is stretched out on the carpet before me, ready to take a snooze. I'll start some tea soon after I finish this post. 

Visiting my brother's house yesterday, we talked and laughed without our devices. I think being screen free is a huge part of connecting face to face. How many of us talk over screens while we multitask, severing a connection with one another? Their house already exudes some Hygge qualities: they connect over board/card games (Exploding Kittens is a house fave) and they read together sharing a hot beverage. 

I find that my creating more moments of comfort has decreased my stress and helped me fall asleep easier at night. I feel more relaxed and my home feels more calming. I also think it's important to not take what we have for granted. Yes, it's fun to see new places but it's also fun to come home and just breathe. 

During the school year, I like to stay at home. I take staycations during my breaks. And that's fun for me, especially now that my house is all comfy. 

What do you think of Hygge? Are there some things you do already? Or something you might try?




Some ideas to try



No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...