Saturday, July 3, 2010

24 Hours of Daylight

If you notice, I don't refer to any daylight in any of my previous posts. Mostly that's because I forgot I was going to be in Akiak during the summer soltice. Which means - I never saw darkness during the week I was there. If there was a twilight or any bit of the sun setting, it happened so late at night that I was already alseep. And when I say the sun was shining, it was like a mid-day shine: bright, bright, bright!

I didn't think the daylight would really mean anything different. And it wasn't annoying. It wasn't anything negative, but there were some effects it had on me that I never saw coming....

1) I was not tired. A part of me was exhausted, sure. But overall, it would be 11:30 or midnight and I was not ready to go to bed. I just wasn't tired. I had to force myself to go to bed. And then I would crash!

2) I had all this energy. You know how people say they wished they had more time in the day? Well, go to Alaska! I'll give you an example: one day I got up to go to a fish camp (a future post) at 10:00. I stayed there for two hours when I went to the summer camp and helped out there until 3:00. Between 3 to 5 was spent with the IT guy, fixing up our laptops. At 6 we had dinner at another teacher's house and after dinner, we went to a dog yard (future post). After that it was about 8. So another teacher and I walked back to the school to check our e-mails. The internet went down while we were there. So we walked backt to the housing. It's now 9 p.m. Time to wind the day down & go to bed, right? Nope! It's time for another visit to the fish camp (I stayed home & caught up on my homework).

The activities never stopped! At midnight, you could look out of your window & see kids walking to and from the river. You weren't tired and there was still stuff you could do.

3) I had four meals a day. My mentor explained that the constant daylight increased your metablolism and you needed more food. So at 10:00 p.m., it was second dinner time. I felt hungry most of the time.

And this makes me wonder....will the opposite to all of this happen during the darkness? Because I will be there during 24 hours of darkness too. The nice thing that I will be awake to see some sunlight, but what will happen? I'll just have to wait & find out!!

So that's my experience with the constant daylight. Overall, not bad & I got more tanned being out by the river. So I went to Alaska & got a tan!!

Here's a picture of the closest thing I saw to sunset. And that's only because it was a raincloud covering the sun!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading your blog! I felt like I was in Alaska with you, and it will be interesting to hear how the winter's are. What an exciting adventure you have embarked upon. Looking forward to future posts!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lara!

While reading this I was thinking to myself, "Wow, she's really there." Then I thought of one of my favorite quotes, (written by Joseph Campbell, who is a scholar of mythology): "Mythology tells us that where you stumble, that's where your treasure is." I've been writing like crazy because I'm possessed by this story for my children's book. Already I'm on chapter VI. It's really good, and actually I'm surprised and very excited by that! I can't wait for you to read it so you can laugh at the recognition of you know what. After three summers it should be complete. Please send your e-mail address again, (I can't find it), so next time I can write to you via that instead. Jane and =^..^=

Anonymous said...

Linda - Thank you! It was quite a trip!!

Jane - I can't wait to read it!! I will send you my e-mail!

~Lara

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...