Thursday, July 1, 2010

Musings on Akiak....

It's taken me several days before I can sit down and even try to describe my experience. The flight was great. When I saw the tiny little bush plane, I excpected to be scared. I hauled myself in the airplane (no easy task) and strapped myself in next to the very cute bush pilot. (By the way, I don't know if they come ugly or plain.) I expected to be scared taking off....I waited for it. But no, I was good. And away we flew.....

Soon it became time to land, and here's where I expected to get scared. Again, I waited for it....the black hole to form in my tummy, but again nothing. The wheels touched down ever so gently and I had landed in my village.

Now here's where things got dicey. Before I can really explain what happened, let me give you a crash course on the stages of culture shock:

Stage 1: Excitement - Wow! I'm here!! There's my roommate!
Stage 2: Problems - Okaay, the windows are boarded up to prevent vandalism? Why are there no doors on the bedrooms? Wow, my room has no closet & is really tiny! The 24 hour sunlight makes me not tired at midnight. If I order something it will either take weeks or I pay double to triple the amount.

Stage 3: Adjustment - This is where I am now. I met more people. I met the kids (who quickly helped me move out of stage 2). I went participated in more activties. I've got plans to make my room cozy & homey.
Stage 4: Stability: This is the next stage where I will have a sense of home. Things will have settled down & I will feel a part of the community.

I wanted to explain these stages so you will understand that when I laid down on my bed the first night thinking, "Dear God! What did I do!?!" You will understand that it was part of the process I had to overcome. There's nothing wrong with Akiak, it's just a different world out there. And I really did think I could take my Benicia apartment living and transplant it out on the Tundra of Alaska. Clearly that first night was a wake-up call.

That was actually the worst night. Things got better immediately. I woke up with a fresh sense of "CAN DO" and started re-evaluating what I was going to bring to Alaska. And I really liked my roommate. She is awesome. I have never spent so much time with someone & not wanted to kill them by the end of the week.

I met some amazing people! My colleauges, the villagers, and the kids. The kids are what really saved me. I was feeling very doubtful in myself & I started playing with the kids at the summer camp. After juggling with them & laughing & playing, I felt like I could breathe! Whatever challenges came up, I could face them and I would make mistakes but give me time and I could do THIS! That's when everything spun around and I felt better.

There's actually so much I want to tell, that one post isn't going to be enough. I am going to end this post, but on a good note. We got the boards off our windows & my little home is actually quite cute and will be a very nice place once my roommate & I put our finishing touches on it. So here are some pics of the village: (the brown building is the corporate store). Enjoy!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Lara! It is amazing to read your blog and experience these changes with you! Don't worry about the "my God what have I done" moments!! They will pass. Eventually you will come out of this phase in life knowing that you can conquer anything. You are doing an incredible thing and I know those children are going to benefit immensely from your decision to move there. Kudos to you! Those of us who have 'transplanted' somewhere new know that it's all about the attitude! I know that there is good and bad in every place and lessons to learn no matter where I go. If you have the right mindset, you will flourish. As I know you will. Hugs and love, Annabel xxooxox

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...