Monday, July 5, 2010

I Want to Suck Your Blood!

This post is dedicated to the mosquito, or rather the swarm of mosquitoes that attempted to suck me dry during my "recon" trip.

I had bought bug spray. Leaving on my kitchen counter was not part of the plan. Smooth, I know. But my roommate (I shall call Miss L) loaned me her bug spray.

Now, I had some reservations about constantly have pesticides on my skin. So I was careful where I put on the bug spray. I missed a spot.....



I tried to outsmart them, but I failed. They aren't any bigger than the mosquitoes we have out here (I was told I missed the bigger ones) but they are meaner. They went for my hair and went through my jeans.

Why a post about mosquitoes? Because by the end of the week, I counted over 30 mosquito bites. The ones on my hands & feet were the worst! Yeah, they got me in my sleep.

But they loved me!! They would swarm around me as I walked. I started walking to the school swinging my hands in front of my face, quickening my pace, creating my own type of cardio. I looked cool and graceful, like a dancer! (Maybe not so much...)

So there are some things I learned:

1) You need bug spray

2) Spray it ALL OVER yourself: hair, over clothes, and at night - This is war people!!

3) Try all bug products (I'm so getting that thing that hangs on your belt!!)

4) Mend all cracks in window screens (I found duct tape works well).

5) It's better to use two hands to slap a mosquito dead than try to catch it in one.

6) I can't wait to get a bug zapper to inact my revenge.

7) I HATE mosquitoes.


No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...