Saturday, June 19, 2010

Ready or Not....Here I Come!!!

By this time tomorrow, I will be in Alaska....for a week anyways. I am taking a class there & staying in the village I will be living in come August. (I call this my "recon" trip.) I'll actually be staying in my house with my new roomate too.

My first trip didn't scare me. I was staying in Anchorage. I knew I was gutsy enough to jump in a cab & pay someone to take me to my hotel.

I'm a little nervous/scared about this trip. I'll be landing on an air strip. Pretty much in the middle of nowhere. My biggest fear is that no one will be there to meet me. I am always someone who needs a back up plan....and I have yet to devise one!! I have no idea where anything is but here's what I know: a) there's a school and b) there's a church.

Plan B ~working~: I can go to one of those buildings by following the path (note to self: stay on the path & watch out for bears) and ask anyone I come across for the location of the teacher housing. I'm not really comfortable banging on doors, but that might get faster results.

The good thing is that after this trip, I'll know my way around. This is the scariest trip, after tomorrow, I won't be so nervous.

All these thoughts are racing through my head, and they're more questions than thoughts. They question my sanity, my strength, my smarts, and my resolve. This is where I suck it up and get on the plane. The questions will pass (and they are passing, I'm almost embarrassed to admit to their presence) and answers will take their place (oh that's the bed size I'll have!!). And me moving to Alaska will seem totally logical again.

But the self-doubts are important too. If it were easy & safe, it wouldn't be an adventure!!

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...