Friday, June 18, 2010

In Between Trips....

As I sit here reflecting on my trip to Hawaii, I am also doing my laundry in preperation for my trip to Alaska. (By the way, I hate doing laundry. I'd rather buy new clothes than do laundry, but you have to wash those too, so really, what's the point?)

So Hawaii, beautiful Hawaii. And it is beautiful. It was lush with the most vivid colors. Pictures do not capture the blues of the water, nor the greens of the plants. They do however capture the gray of the clouds and there was quite a few of those...but whatever.

I loved the beauty. I enjoyed the ocean, and there were many awesome things I experienced. But it wasn't a great trip, a good one, yes, but great? No....

One: It's a good thing I'm headed to the cold, because I am not a hot weather girl. I liked cooling off in the water, but I'm more of an A/C (air conditioning) kind of gal & you don't go to hawaii to stay inside. And it was a bit humid, so I felt damp after a while.

Two: My mom was having back problems and took a lot of naps. Which meant I was by myself...a lot. Most of the pictures of me are me taking them of myself. And I totally understand that she was in pain, & I don't want to seem like I'm complaining, but there you go. I was alone most of the time. And Maui's not really designed for singles.

There were some awesome moments. I loved the beach our hotel was on. It was gorgeous!! And our hotel was really right on the beach. It was just passing the pool and there was the beach.

There were a lot of other hotels. The one next to us had this incredible swimming pool. Actually, it was a bunch of pools connected. I would have loved to swim there!


Another thing I really enjoyed was the Maui Ocean Center. It was an aquarium, small but really well done. They had a tunnel where sting rays, different sharks, and fish swam all around you. I had a moment with a sting ray. She was MASSIVE!! She kept watching me as she swum around and around. Then she started swimming around my head. I feel we connected on a spiritual level. Here are some pics from there:





I loved all the flowers I saw. They were so beautiful and colorful.


But my favorite thing of all was the tour I took of the Road to Hana. We drove around a volcano on this little two lane road (the bridges were one lane though). I was so glad that I didn't try to drive it myself!! There are blind corners everywhere. And one part of the road is next to a cliff! The driver had to honk her horn when we turned corners so that other cars would know we were there. It was very intense. But the sites we saw!! Waterfalls, black sand beaches, lush green valleys, and gorgeous coastlines! Once we passed the town of Hana (where Oprah just bought land), we continued on around the island of Maui. We stopped at these fresh water pools that lead to the ocean. I swam in one! Did you know there's a desert in Maui? Yeah, it's on that particular road. It was not very pretty. And the road was rough, it felt like a massage chair vibrating really hard. But it was still a great tour & our tour guide was amazing!




Overall, I enjoyed Hawaii. Would I go back? Well, that would depend on the occasion. Am I glad I went? Absolutely!! It was worth going to see it!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lara, Tim and I did that drive all the way around Maui through to the other side of Hana. Did you see the really old mission style church that was on the coast? We had gotten to a point to that there were all these wild horses on the road. Had to be so carefull driving through so thy didn't buck the car. lol We love Maui. Wish we could have a home on it. - Erin

miss ruark said...

Erin - I did see that little church. It looked like a perfect little church...I can't describe how I mean, but it was just the perfect little church! I didn't see any wild horses, just cows in the road!!

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...