Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Off to Maui.....


So today my alarm clock went off, and I thought to myself, "What am I doing today? Why did I set my alarm?" And then it hit me....oh yeah, I'm going to Hawaii today. Man, I was out!!! Then I got all excited.

I planned this trip back around December. I haven't traveled much and I wanted to go on a real vacation. I've never been to Hawaii before and I wanted to go somewhere where I could just relax. That and I wanted to be connected to nature. According to native american lore, volcanos are the closest thing to mother earth. Now, I don't know if that's true or not, but I felt my life was going and going and I was starting to feel further and further away from nature. So my vacation had to be centered around the earth. Hawaii it is. And after a bit of research, Maui it is. Add that to a call to my aunt who is a travel agent and BAM! you have yourself a vacation.

This was before moving to Alaska was anything more than a "someday wouldn't that be cool" whim. But now you can see why I would be drawn to Alaska. Talk about nature!

I am going to Hawaii with my mother. There were other friends who were maybe going to go, but plans fell through. And as much as I adore my friends, I travel better with my mother anyways. I don't know why, but I'm actually difficult to travel with! I mean I could blame the other people I've traveled with before, but what do they all have in common? That's right, me! I'm flattered that people are surprised to hear that I'm difficult to spend a vacation with, but it's true. I think it's because Queen of the Classroom works in the classroom quite well, but on the road not so much! I'm used to calling the shots and having my space (as horrible as that sounds!!) But my mom & I are a good combination. It's not that I boss her around (think of her more as the Queen Mother), it's more that we know each other so well and it's a good give and take relationship. And it turned into the last thing we'll do together before I move thousands of miles away.

I will have internet access but not for posting pictures. This picture I took of the website of our hotel. So have a great week everybody!!!

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...