Monday, July 18, 2011

And One Journey Comes to an End.....

Tonight, my mother, Sister, and I went to see the last Harry Potter movie. (In 3D no less.)

Yes, I am a total Harry Potter fan.

Watching the last Harry Potter meant a lot to me. It was the last of the movies, but it meant more than that to me.

Yes, it's been a tradition for my mother and I to watch the movies together, but the books are what really did it for me.

I had a friend who would bring those books down to the coffeehouse I hung out at and read them. One day I asked what they were about since I had heard a buzz about the books but knew nothing about them. She told me all about them. That friend has since passed away (Meghan), but Harry Potter reminds me of her.

I was interested but not really. Then I saw the first book on sale at Raley's. I figured I'd just see what it was about........just for fun. My brother, Ethan, walked by and asked "Why the hell are you reading that?" And I said, "I just want to see what the deal is."

I was hooked.....and then so was my mother.....and then my brother Adam, and yes, even Ethan finally came around.

I got one of my girl friends to read the book. And she was hooked. We'd watch the movies and pick them apart, cause let's admit it....it wasn't until the last few movies that the movies started following the books more closely.....and don't get me started on the third movie....that left out all my favorite elements of the book. For example: it never once said that Harry's dad changed into a stag.....which would explain some things. And Harry's dad is supposed to have the same wild hair as Harry....and while I am a fan of Daniel Radcliffe....Harry's eyes are supposed to be his mother's eyes....green.

Actually, it wasn't until the last couple of movies I even liked them. They used to bug me.

I think I started to forgive them a bit after I read the Wizard of Oz.....did you know that the ruby slippers aren't actually ruby? They're silver. I think it would be fun to start a book/movie club where you read the book and compare it to the movie. See what movies followed the story....

There's one movie that is totally different from the book, but I found it maintained the book's "soul". It was the Pride & Prejudice that starred Keira Knightly.

So no more Harry Potter movies. That journey is done.....and I can't say anything bad about it. The movie was very well done. And I totally cried.....but I cried at the beginning of the Lion King so I may not be the best judge of movies that make you cry. But I saw other people crying too.....

My trip is going well....I took Sister to an amusement park. She rode every rollercoaster she could. Her favorite one was the one that goes up really high and drops you. This week we will be going to the city. I have been cleaning out my stuff I put in my parent's garage. It's been fun going through my stuff......and tossing out a ton of stuff I really don't need. That's good too.....

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...