Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Dakota Takes on Anchorage

Sorry for the late posting. I've been meaning to write, but I've been very tired.

This last weekend, Dakota, myself, and my friend MM, went to Anchorage to pick up her new puppy, Lulu (I suggested the name!!). I was taking Dakota to the vet and he had already outgrown his crate and I was wanting to see how he would fit in some bigger ones. Plus, I really, really wanted to get him some nail clippers.....okay, I wanted someone to do it for me!

Except for Dakota's screaming when he was in his crate, everything went fine on the way over. Dakota is totally paper trained and I had thought he figured out that he could also use the bathroom outside. Boy, I was wrong.

Just so you know, in my defense, I kept Dakota outside as much as possible. And I gave him 20-30 minutes outside before I had to bring him into the terminal at the Ted Stevens International Airport to go pick up Lulu. And each time I brought him in the terminal, he'd go to the bathroom. 4 TIMES!!!! A maintenance worker walked by and said, "You know there are pet parks outside....".....Yes, I do know....I just spent almost an hour there!!! I keep saying this, but because Dakota is so big, it's easy to forget how young he is. If he were any other puppy, I'd be carrying him.

That's not to say I didn't carry my 24 pound 11 week old puppy around. See, we couldn't find where we were supposed to pick up Lulu. So we kept walking back and forth. At one point, we were in a hurry, so I picked him up and carried him. Then we found out we were in the wrong building! So we hustled to the rent a car place and I rented a SUV. When we went to leave (right after Dakota's 4th time relieving himself btw) and Dakota wouldn't move. He was laying down and he wouldn't get back up. He was so tired. So I picked him up and carried him to the car. After that, he seemed okay. We picked up Lulu and all worked out.

Too bad for Dakota, our next stop was the vet's office. My poor boy was so DONE that he hid under the bench and growled at every dog. The only one he was okay with was Lulu. He laid down during his examination and tried to take a nap. We went right back to the hotel so the "mommies" could go shopping.

The next day was a group trip to PetSmart. Where both Lulu and Dakota were brushed and had their nails trimmed. Lulu came out wearing a bow and Dakota a Halloween bandana. I bought an XL sized wire pen for Dakota that took up the back seat and the trunk. Let's just say I was glad I rented a SUV!! MM got busted with her PetCo bags while the PetSmart guys were loading the pen. Haha! I was glad I had already taken mine to my hotel room!

And now for Lulu.......ah, Lulu......Lulu and Dakota....are very unlikely playmates. Lulu is one week older than Dakota.....but Lulu is a 1.1 pound Yorkie......and Dakota....well, he's freakin' huge!

Lulu and Dakota


Lulu was the boss of Dakota! They were so funny playing together. Lulu would try to nip at Dakota but I doubt he could feel her. We were watching them so carefully but they were fine. Lulu would get tired of playing and want to be rescued. But when Dakota was napping, she'd go and wake him up to play.

Dakota learned to sleep on a bed. I think he was watching Lulu. I was hoping he'd take the lesson to heart but he only did that in Anchorage....so far. He also learned to wake up around 3:30 to play. That lesson I'm not so happy about! I'm really hoping to change that back to him sleeping through the night. 

I've never been around a puppy so small as Lulu and one so big as Dakota. It was the funniest thing. I got used to holding a puppy so tiny....thank goodness! 

Lulu - not much taller than the bottle!

It was a busy weekend and I didn't get much sleep what with the puppies and both MM and I were sick with bad colds. I was hoping to catch up on my sleep once I got back home. But my cat decided to start playing with Dakota...which is great but they play late at night.....and in the middle of the night. So it's not much sleep for me!

I think Dakota and Lulu missed each other. I brought him to MM's house and they raced around the house, playing with each other. The other pets in Lulu's house aren't especially keen on Lulu yet. And Dakota does love having a playmate. 

Life with Dakota is 10 times more interesting.....and fun!

My Dakota



No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...