Monday, October 17, 2011

Dakota's Adventure.....

So this last week.....sigh....

Well, I've written how Dakota was sick and on meds....but he wasn't getting any better. In fact, he just kept getting sicker and sicker....he was looking really skinny. Since his energy was still pretty high, I wasn't too worried. I kept calling the vet and they just told me to keep him on a bland diet. So I was cooking him rice & chicken. I was trying everything.

On Thursday and Friday, we didn't have school. It was two days of inservice. Thursday morning I woke up and Dakota had gotten sick all over the front of my house. He was listless and wanted to cuddle. He was in bad shape.....

So I made a few calls, jumped on a plane, and flew him to Anchorage of course. After some tests, fluids, and 4 different meds......they still didn't know what was wrong. They suspected either a parasite or a bacterial infection....so they are treating everything. I had to stay overnight in Anchorage and I came back with him on Friday.

And he's better....

It actually wasn't that much of a hassle.....I explained I had a pet emergency and I was able to get a bush plane and a flight from Bethel to Anchorage. And I was able to get a hotel room at the last place I stayed at with my friend Michelle. I didn't do any shopping while in Anchorage. I was just worried about Dakota.

I completely broke down on the flight to Anchorage. For someone who hates showing emotion in public, I seem to have issues in airplanes and airports. I just felt I had to prepare myself for bad news.

I'm glad to have been wrong about that. I know it may sound funny to some people, me jumping on a plane with my puppy....but I felt that I had to do everything in my power to take care of him.

One funny thing was that when I jumped on the bush plane, some people thought I was sick and the plane was for me....okay, it was only funny cause it wasn't true.

And now my boy is back to being his fluffy, grab you by the pant leg and drag you across the floor self again. He's put on weight and looking good.

I hadn't been crating him during the day cause he was sick....and the other day I came home to find he shredded his pee pads (used - ewwww!) and peed on his dog bed.....so he's back to being crated during the day....

So that was my adventure last week. Life out here is certainly an adventure....throw in a giant malamute and we're set.

Dakota after his ordeal....

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...