Saturday, July 21, 2012

Dakota Turns 1 & Other Summer Fun...

So my baby boy has turned one years old this week!

Dakota Asleep on the Couch
I was hoping on doing something wild & crazy like having doggy birthday party but they were supposed to be working on the pipes in my complex. Which would have meant turning off the water. So I didn't want to plan anything and not have water at the same time. My water was supposed to be off for 3-5 days....notice how I keep saying "supposed"? Yeah, they haven't started yet....so every night I make sure I'm stocked up on water, and the next morning....I have water. Which would be great, except the pipe work WILL happen....I'm sure when I'm least expecting it.

So my plan for the month of July was to relax....and plan nothing. I had a goal set for reading 5 books, I have my movies, and I expected to be walking Dakota. I thought it would be refreshing to take a break and enjoy the seclusion. 

So, it's 21 days into July....and I've read 12 going on 13 books. I walk Dakota every day. I've watched almost ALL of my comic book movies (except the early 90's Batman movies & Superman.....hmmmmmm, Superman) and developed an unhealthy obsession with Kevin McKidd (Scottish....need I say more). He's fantastic in HBO's series: Rome. Don't worry, I'm still a Michael Fassbender fan too, but I only have two of his movies. And I didn't get to see Prometheus. Bummer.

Kevin McKidd

Okay, so I'm bored. Being alone with my thoughts isn't as exciting as I thought it would be....although, I've read some amazing books. And I've had some fun moments on Facebook. And it doesn't help that almost every day has been chilly and rainy. One day, Dakota and I got drenched in the downpour. 

So it was a good thing my new little sewing machine came in the mail. I started working on my niece, India's Hello Kitty qasbeq. I had cut all the pieces for it back in May. The ladies who normally sew have been working at their fish camps. So I haven't done anything with it. 

Here's my mini sewing machine:
Lil Sew & Sew & a whole lotta pins!!

And here's what I've done on India's qasbeq (except the sleeves & cuffs are done too):
pretty sure it's crooked...ah well

It's better that I have something to keep me occupied. Some people do well with seclusion and being alone with their thoughts and selves....turns out, I'm not one of those. So I'll be sewing, reading, watching movies, and Facebooking....and of course, walking Dakota. Maybe I should do a Rome marathon too......

Hopefully, the weather will get nicer. I went out one day and took some pictures. I'll leave you with those!









No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...