Sunday, March 24, 2019

Behavior Modification: Exercise

So the goal of my Weight Management Program isn't to just lose weight. It's a behavior modification program designed to change two of my behaviors: healthier eating habits and increasing my exercise. 

Keep in mind that right now, I'm eating a super restricted diet. That will change in June where I will slowly be reintroducing "regular" food back into my diet. Well, that's the idea....I'm actually gonna be jumping on a plane after a few weeks of food reintroduction and will spend time in Portugal, Spain, & Morocco. So that will be different.

But my focus this week is based on an euphony I had this weekend while at the gym.

But let me back up:

So around Week 3 or 4, we were supposed to start tracking our steps. They even gave us pedometers. I have my Fitbit, so I haven't used the one that they gave me. Our goal was to hit 10,000 steps a day. 

My Fibit: Versa
And between teaching and walking Dakota, I can hit that no problem. Pat myself on the back for having an active job. 

Which was a great feeling because I HATE exercise. 

And I mean I hate every second, every step....even activities I enjoy like dancing turn to crap when it's a timed exercise. I don't think my body produces those endorphins that make you feel good exercising because it really sucks. (I also resent having to change my clothes to go exercise. After work, I want comfy, not skin tight active pants.)

I was kinda just hoping that the diet itself would fix all my issues and I could be healthy without exercise. I mean, did you see that I hit 10,000 steps Monday-Friday?

I DO like weight machines though....I feel tough when I use them but my doctor said only cardio right now. No weights/weight machines, etc.

Okay, fine. I'm going through this program....I figured I would try to hit 10,000 steps during the weekend. I have a gym membership that I wasn't using. Fine, I'll get up, put on my active wear and hit the gym.

And so I did. I followed through with it. I was listening to either a podcast or an audiobook and it wasn't terrible.

And then a couple people invited me to go on a walk with them during the week. And that didn't suck either. I enjoyed it. 

Then I realized that just hitting steps wasn't enough of a challenge for me. If I was going to work the program, shouldn't I be going out of my comfort zone and making more of an effort?

So I changed my goal: I would go to the gym on days that I wasn't teaching, but I also had to go on walks more during the week. Plus, I'd love to improve my flexibility, so I think I'll start with yoga once a week. The yoga hasn't happened yet BUT I think after work on Mondays might be a great day for that. I can destress and shake off those Mondays.

Which leads me to my euphony: I'm actually enjoying my time at the gym. I sleep in on the weekends, so when I go, it's not busy. No one is particularly nice, they all ignore me, which I like. And I get to listen to my choice: music, podcast, or audiobook. No one bothers me, no animal or person needs something from me, because it's my time to just be left alone, in my own little world, just walking on the treadmill. There's no "I should be doing this" or other guilty thoughts because I'm doing exactly what I need to be doing. I'm exactly where I need to be at that moment. 

And of course the walking has it's benefits too. I'm not stressed at the gym. I'm already faster and walking longer than I was able to that first day, so I feel better about my progress.

I still don't love exercising but it's not as terrible as it normally feels. 

If I come out of this program with the habit of going to the gym on the weekends, that's pretty impressive. And it's been 3 weeks now that I've gone. 

Maybe I'll become one of those gym people. How crazy would that be? 

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...