Sunday, August 14, 2011

3....2....1: Happy New School Year!!!

Thursday is the first day of school. My school year has officially begun. It started last week in Anchorage at my inservice. The inservice went well. I think people are starting to get to know me....which is nice.

I wasn't in a really mood to shop, but that was fine. Since I had been living in the village, I didn't need very much. So that was non-eventful.

There was one awkward moment...I ran into my ex-boyfriend. Or rather I would have if I hadn't turned around and ran down the hall. Yeah, I am so smooth......ah well.

Last year, on my way home I got stuck in Bethel the first night. So I arrive in Bethel and find that once again, the planes aren't flying. But this year, I have a friend with a boat. So I was not stuck in Bethel. Ha ha! This past weekend, all the teachers have been coming to Akiak. I have spent the majority of the last three months being the only teacher in my little circle of teacher houses. Now I have to get used to the sounds of my neighbors.

I went for a little walk today showing one of the new teachers around. Akiak is pretty much a circle with roads that run parallel through the circle. It's easy once you get the hang of it. It's odd that I'm the more experienced teacher here....it's nice to be helpful and to be respected like that.

During the inservice, I had to facilitate a group. I just followed the guidelines but I was surprised by the praise I got later. As hard as it is to live out here sometimes, this experience continues to bring out the best in me. But I still want to do more.....I've made friends with some women and sometimes I hear about their pain. I feel helpless....I would so like to help the women here realize just how strong and amazing they truly are. Sometimes I feel like all I can do is just be positive.

I feel that way with my students too. The obstacles they face in life are more than I ever had. And they keep going, they keep living, they keep loving, and they even keep laughing. There is a strength that flows through the village that would totally push away the dark things if people realized just how strong they are.

Rural Alaska makes you tough. I'm tougher than I was.....but I don't think I'm harder. It's a harsh world but there's still a gentleness. Life is more difficult here but the bonds of friendship are deep and you really aren't alone. People really do try to take care of you and they go out of their way to be helpful. There's so much beauty here....you just have to be open to it.

Yes, I love being out here. Life makes sense to me. Seeing my ex brought up all the pain again....but it really helps to be somewhere where I feel needed, valued, and liked. As much as Akiak needs someone like me right now, I need Akiak too.

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...