Sunday, August 7, 2011

Comin' Round the Bend.....


Hello, hello, hello!

I decided a new year needs a new look! And even though I posted yesterday, I decided to write about a couple new things I have coming up:

1) I joined an on-line bookclub. I have always wanted to join a bookclub and decided it was time! Plus, I like hearing about different books that I wouldn't normally read. I have been reading a lot of vampire books and am kind of ready to move away from that. It seems the books with the most buzz around them are books for Young Adults. Hopefully, this bookclub will vary in their book choices. I have my kindle and can download books out here in the bush via my computer, so I'm ready to read Wolfsangel....I really recommend the book site...it's called goodreads.com & you can add all the books you've read & read what people have to say about them.

2) I am going to try to grow some salad seeds. I just ordered an aerogarden, which is supposed to be easy to grow things in. I sure would like to have fresh lettuce & you can grow romaine leaves & those are my favorite for salads. They have all these kits, you can grow tomatoes, flowers, herbs, & veggies. It's a container (mine will be about the size of a coffeemaker) that has a light attached and the base has the spots for the seeds (see picture - mine is would be the small one except it's white). Once mine comes in, I will be sure to post pictures of what it looks like and if anything actually grows. I do not have a green thumb. I once bought a herb kit you had to just water & cover...I followed the directions but the only thing I grew was mold.

The one thing that was not cool is that despite the site offering free shipping, I was charged a "non-domestic" P.O. Box delivery. So I wrote the company & asked for a refund stating two reasons 1) the free shipping offer and 2) domestic means "not foreign" and Alaska is part of the Unite States. And since it was almost a $50 shipping fee. I hope they refund me the money. I'll let you know what happens.

So that's it! We'll see how this all turns out! I officially start my school year on Tuesday in Anchorage. Next week is when school actually starts. Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the planter - looks so cool!!! can't wait for you to post pictures of your progress :) It will be nice to have a little bit of green at home during the winter I'm sure. I joined goodreads a couple of years ago - look for me - but I haven't been on there for ages - we'll have to trade books. I am going to be reading a whole bunch of 4th grade literature - tee hee!!!
hugs and love,
A. xoxo

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...