Monday, August 1, 2011

Coming Soon to a Theater Near You!

I realized last night that my life would make a terrific Reese Witherspoon movie trailer:

Picture this:

*Reese moves away to a remote area of Alaska
*Reese starts teaching and loves it

and if that's not a movie all to itself, there's more!

*Reese meets a man and things get very romantic
*Reese finds out he's a lying, cheating dog and breaks up with him
*Reese picks herself up moves on

The next part of the movie isn't written yet, as I'm still working on that one. But I can definitely see that last part with some peppy "go get 'em" soundtrack playing.

Except, I don't see Reese being a good choice to play me....maybe Sandra Bullock. I do think Reese could pull me off though.

I also realized that when I try to deal with questions about my life or have something I'm trying to work out in my brain, I always turn to books. When I first got a cat, I bought a book & subscribed to Cat Fancy. Then when I felt I finally understood cats (or realized I never would) I gave that magazine up. When I survived the Great Breakup years ago (my personal BIG ONE), I bought a book about heartbreak. And it helped.

I have countless teaching books, a few books about diet & exercise, and several historical books.....you get the idea.

So when faced with my current issue of "how the heck did I not see this coming????", I started reading a new book. It's called "When Good People Have Affairs: Inside the Hearts and Minds of People Who Have Two Relationships". It's helped me for two reasons.....1) My ex's type of cheating isn't listed in here, thereby affirming my suspicions that he is not a good person and 2) it's helped me see that I really did see the signs and ignored them.

Granted, that's not what the book's about. The book was written for the reader to be having an affair. There's a few points that I don't agree with (by the way: for some fabulous reading check out the reviews for this book on amazon....some of the best reviews I have EVER read!!) but it has helped me accept my own responsibilities. I know, it's shocking that I'm not perfect, but there you have it. It lists elements that are essential in a relationship and safety (trust) is one of them. And I ignored my gut. I knew something was off, but I made excuses. I really should have ended things a long time ago. And truthfully, I never really trusted him.

Ahhhh....but what did I just do? Shoulda......shoulda, woulda, coulda.....

And now, it's live & learn time. It's time to let it go & move on. I'll never forget, because it was a valuable lesson for me, but I don't need to dwell on it. Also, it was a humbling lesson that I can be wrong if I don't trust myself. It's kind of a weird sensation to be half right and half wrong at the same time. A part of me knew he wasn't right for me....and even with a couple of little things. He didn't care for Star Wars. That right there is a big thing for me. I'm a total sci-fi geek and I'll need a boyfriend who will enjoy Star Wars every now & then. But it's not just Star Wars.....there's Star Trek, too. And Terminator.....one of my favorite most romantic scenes comes from Terminator (C'mon "I came back for you Sarah Connor." that's soo romantic!!).

But I digress.....oh but that was a fun little ride!

Anyways, it's also funny given my need for reading books that when I did come out here, I hardly read anything at all. I didn't read any blogs or books. I did read a lot on the ATP (Alaska's Teacher Placement) website. But I kinda have enjoyed not doing a whole lot of reading about living here. I've just been living here. Sometimes I think it's a good thing to put the book down & go out & LIVE life. At least I know when I get stuck with something or need to think things out, there will always be a book written about it!

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...