Sunday, August 21, 2011

And They're Off!

So school started this past week. I have 11 students, 2 boys & 9 girls. I can already tell that I'm going to have a great year with my little guys. I am also the reading teacher for 3rd grade, so I get to keep working with my sweethearts from last year too. It feels like I'm playing hooky by not teaching math. It's a very weird feeling....like I'm forgetting something.

By the way: my aerogarden is totally sprouting! I CAN grow something besides mold! Yay me! I'm growing baby greens, salad greens, and romaine lettuce. I've noticed that my house is smelling fresher too. But the setup is pretty easy. I never did get that $50 refunded, but I have a plan to order the replacement bulbs....I'm going to send them to my mother's and pick them up when I'm there for winter break. So haha aerogarden people!

So I had a little trouble this week. And rather than go into the specifics, I'm just going to say this: In teacher books, they warn you to stay out of the staff room. This is because the staff room is a known place where teachers complain. And no offense, but we are a complainy bunch when we get together sometimes. I have no problem venting, but when it comes to problems, I think of Ed Harris in Apollo 13, "Let's work the problem, people."

And over the years, I've realized that not everyone wants to fix the problem. They are more content to complain about it. And that's true with other problems not involving teaching. I wonder if it's because in order to fix a problem, you have to actually work on fixing it. It's easier to just complain and sometimes even to just give up.

In my little Lara World, problems do exist, but they have to be fixed. I will read whatever book I need to....I will ask whoever I need to....I will try whatever I have to.....I make lists, I talk it out....but I need to be working on it. I had one job at a video rental place where I tried everything I could think of to make Sunday mornings run smoother. I got in trouble every Sunday. Too many movies weren't put back....so the next Sunday, I'd focus on putting the movies away. The lines were too long......so the next Sunday, I'd focus on customers....and then, of course, the movies would back up. I finally realized after I quit that I should have said, "I can't do this with just two people. Give me more help!!!" But I tried everything I could do to make it work. I'm like that with my classroom.

Sometimes, we get so involved in the "what's not working" that we don't stop to appreciate what is working. My class is a sweet class. They ALL want to try. They will have their moments, sure, but I'll be ready. They asked me, "Will you love us more than Miss Q***** did?" (My roommate last year.) My response? "Are you kidding? I'll love you even more!"

The bumps on the road are just bumps....let's not focus on those and look up past the road.....cause it's an amazing view!

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...