Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Nature Walk

After my complainy (and my mom mentioned misspelled) post, several things have happened.

After work that day, I went for a walk with a couple other teachers. I brought my camera and took some amazing pictures. Which you can't see just yet, but there's one I am particularly proud of. But it was really neat walking around the village. I got to see places I hadn't seen before. I tell you, it's just beautiful here!

I got issued a new laptop....with ALL the keys on it! Yay!!!

I ordered from that store again, and got some more food. I'm feeling pretty good. Still no bush order but it's only been 2 weeks and 5 days....maybe when I hit week 3 I'll be lucky. We are getting closer to week 4 every day and so I know it can be any day now.

Okay, I'm just going to say this: I don't know how effective last year's teacher was with my students. I have been very spoiled having a great first grade team at my last school. It makes such a huge difference. So I had a rough day yesterday but I came back today with a plan: we are going to work on classroom basics. And my god these kids are awesome! Once I let them know what I wanted, they worked very hard to give it to me.

I cracked a joke today....just a stupid little one that mostly cracks me up. This quiet little boy whispers, "You crack me up." It was a delightful moment. I am loving these kids. They are so sweet.

One thing happened that wasn't so hot. I was debating whether or not to even mention this aspect, but it happens. My house was on lock-down on Saturday. Someone was causing some trouble in the village and a call went out for all teachers to lock the doors of their houses. I totally slept through it, but I am very well looked after here, and one of the janitors came & checked my house to make sure my roommate and I were safe. Everything was fine, but this tells me two things: make safety number one and I am very lucky that there are so many wonderful people here who help me even when I don't know it.

I certainly chose a wild path when I decided to come up here. I am finding you have to focus on the beauty and look past the ugly. But it's still hard up here. Everything is more of a challenge, except love. It's easy to love these kids. That's the one thing I don't struggle with. But I miss Benicia. I'm about to hit the longest I have ever been away from it. That's sad....I think I just found some new strength!! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - I'm speechless. Just read your last three blogs - love your writing Lara - it is so great to hear what's going on. This morning Emma and Jack and I were talking about you because we talked about the weather and what it must be like for you up in Alaska -they are certainly appreciating it! I told them it was raining up there and they said - "oh that would be nice!!" Always love hearing what you're up to - sounds challenging and hard, and wonderful - everything an experience like that should be. You will come away a changed woman and it will be the best thing you ever did. Hugs and love,
Annabel xoxooxox

Anonymous said...

Oh Lara!!! Boy do I miss you! Our chats at lunch and after school seem so long ago. Thanks for the props about the first grade team. I'll pass them along :) You are so strong, brave, and downright awesome!!! Thinking good thoughts for you often (especially about that stinkin' bush order). So glad to hear you are really living the adventure! Message me your mailing addy, I'd love have our classes do some long distance projects. Be safe and enjoy every minute! ~Erica~

Mellissa said...

Something about this entry is really killing me. I think it's the little guy getting your jokes. You are already doing good work right where you are!

Loving and missing you,
Mellissa

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...