Thursday, August 26, 2010

And Speaking of Dogs.....

So last night I was getting ready for bed when I heard this howling. It was faint at first but grew louder and louder. I went to the window to see if there was an injured dog on the road....nothing. But I couldn't really tell where the sound was coming from. Every window I went to, the dog seemed to be right there. I couldn't see anything.

Then it occurred to me: The dog is under the house and it's following my footsteps. The dog is screaming at this point and I just think: What do I do? I say a quick prayer to help the dog find it's way but then I wonder, what if the dog's stuck and can't get out?

So then I decided to go out (it was midnight and dark) and try to help it get out. I grab my maglight, put on my boots and venture outside the house.

I can hear the dog yelping as I came out. I shined my light under the stairs..it was a pup.

I called it and out it came....a black puppy no bigger than my foot. it must have been four weeks old.

What do I do now?????

I picked it up to stop it's yelping and to try to process this situation....dogs were shot earlier today, did momma get it? Who do I contact? What do I do????

While I was pondering all this, the puppy had cuddled up to my chest and promptly fell asleep. He (a baby boy) would whine if I sat him down. So as not to wake my roommate (okay, I tried but she wouldn't wake up) I cuddled with him all night long. He woke up at one point and tried to suckle the fatty tissue around my thumb. I fed him some high quality cat food and some water & he cuddled up and fell right back asleep.

I found out later that some people dump puppies by the teacher housing in order for them to be rescued.

I loved that puppy, but I ended up not keeping the puppy. 1) There was a family with two stay at home women who would mother that puppy far better than I would and 2) my roommate doesn't want me to have a dog.

But I am not ready to have a dog yet anyways. I think I was the instrument of the dog's placement into it's forever home. I found out later that some people had heard it's yelping but didn't think to do anything.

Yeah, leave it to me to be the one who goes out in the middle of the night in the Alaskan Bush armed with a maglight to rescue a screaming animal.......

Sometimes I'm so brilliant I could scream......

His new family named him Captain......and I heard he's been cuddling with them all day. :)

5 comments:

Lisa Cowan said...

Lara,

Your sweet little story of this pup just gave me goosebumps. How sad that puppies would just be dumped outside!

I am loving your stories and adventures, keep them coming!! I look forward to them!!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Wow! Do they get rid of the dogs because there are too many of them? Lots of wandering strays? I'm glad you were there for that little guy...
A. xo

miss ruark said...

I think there's just so many of them right now...and in a village of about 40 homes, there's just too many puppies to be taken care of. At least this puppy found a warm place to spend the night and a home that fell in love with him right away.

There would be lots of wandering strays, that's why the police go and shoot them every now & then. Otherwise, there'd be lots of dog attacks.

I have a feeling that there's going to be more puppy rescues in my future....or I hope so, I don't care for the alternative.

Brooke Peterson said...

your blog is really great! ...i didnt realize you had state people coming in to watch your teaching...that really sucks...it was like that in vallejo too but i cant even imagine trying to relate little red riding hood to kids who had never heard it and then compare it to another version..like on the state testing..i hated that part for my second graders too...not sure if i'm making sense but i really want to say - keep up the amazing job!!
by the way i am laid off, still unemployed and moved to what i thought was the middle of nowhere Kelseyville, (boy did you help to put that in perspective!!) and i cant wait every week to hear what else youre up to...i loved the comment the kid made about you cracking him up...it makes me miss teaching...thanks for sharing miss ruark :)
brooke

Pat R. said...

Lara, You are a "Guardian Angel" for not only the children but the animals!! You were definitely meant to find that puppy and help it find it's home!!
Your blogs are wonderful and I so love reading them. You are missed by everyone!!
Love, Pat

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...