Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Please Don't Shoot My Dog....

So my morning announcement this morning went something like this: The sheriff is shooting stray dogs today, so if you have a dog, make sure it is tied up.

One of my students came up to me and asked me, "Can I go call my mom so she can tie up our dog? I don't want my dog to die."

"Of course."

Oh my.....


*******************

A man came into my classroom to help me set up my computers. One of my students came up to him and asked him who he was in Yup'ik.

My student was shocked when I turned to the gentleman and said, "He wants to know who you are." And then I turned to my student and introduced him. The look on my student's face was priceless!! He wanted to know how I knew that...well, I've been paying attention!!

They have Yup'ik everyday for a half hour. I've been going, not everyday, but I've gone several times. It's tough, but I've gotten a few phrases and words down. Mostly I know how to tell them to hurry up. It comes in handy.


*******************

Does anyone have any questions they want to know? Let me know & I'll be happy to respond.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I love that you're learning the language...very cool! I knew you'd be the best teacher these kids have ever had. It really says something when you become part of their world, and you are the only person I know that has the ability to do it. MISS YOU TONS!

T-Mobile says they fixed my issue of you not getting my texts, but judging from the lack of your response...I don't think they have.

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...