Tuesday, August 17, 2010

You've Got Mail

Have you ever seen The Money Pit with Tom Hanks & Shelley Long? Well, there's this scene where Tom Hanks finds out they rebuilt his stairs and he's driven to tears of joy over having stairs again. He tests a few and then announces to someone "I'm gonna go and use my new stairs!" I now totally understand that moment. I got to finally do my laundry!!! I got some laundry detergent!!

If you are wondering if I got finally got my bush order, the answer is NOPE! One teacher got just got hers and she ordered it two weeks before I did. So I have no idea when it's coming.

BUT what I did do was call this grocery store in Bethel. I gave them my order: small container of laundry detergent, some girlie stuff, soda, bread, orange juice, big bag of chips, apple sauce, bananas, turkey for sandwiches, and oatmeal. I called it in this morning and it was waiting for me after work. And it only cost me almost $120. I swear....it really was that much. They airmailed it to me. And I was never so excited to look in my fridge. I actually said to myself, "Wow! What do I want to eat tonight!?!"

AND ON TOP OF THAT: two of my missing four tubs showed up! Yay! Including all my lotions and cleansers that I didn't need for that week in Anchorage but hoped to have here. It really made my day!!!!

Did I mention that we finally got doors for our bedroom? Yeah, that was pretty cool too. Lola kept going in my roommate's room and now the door stays shut. Plus we both have some privacy. Which is always a good thing!

This afternoon was just what I needed because jobwise, this is the hardest gig I've ever had. The kids are really great kids and they are smart. The problem is the books I'm required to teach from. We were supposed to be reading a story about a grandpa messing up the story of Little Red Riding Hood. The level was much too hard for these guys and it assumed that everyone knew the story of Little Red Riding Hood. But I'm in a Yup'ik Eskimo Village....guess what story isn't a huge part of their childhood? And then I'm supposed to discuss the differences between the "normal" version and the "funny" one. If I didn't have people from the state coming in and making sure I'm teaching exactly how I'm supposed to be, I would redo that lesson with a Yup'ik legend they all know. I have been teaching 2nd grade for four years now and this is the most advanced stuff to start out with I have seen. Sorry California....but this stuff is tough for your second graders too...who already have the background knowledge.

Seriously though, I've gone from thinking moving here was the craziest thing I've ever done to this is the hardest thing I have ever done. And it doesn't mean I've made a mistake. I don't feel that at all. I just feel that this experience is going to test me. To make this a successful year, it's going to take everything I've ever learned about teaching and a few new things as well!

I believe this will be hard but there's going to be a lot rewards and smaller victories. The kids are truly amazing. They like to touch my ears. I wasn't sure why until I realized that most women's ears are pierced just once....not four like mine. They also were shocked about my tattoos. "You mean you have that forever?". I guess I'm hard core for the village! One of my students asked me, "Why are you white?" I just said, "Cause my mom and dad were." She nodded and carried on satisfied with my answer.

That's it for now. And on a side note: Thank you to everyone who commented on my posts or sent me an e-mail. I'm very pleased everyone seems to be enjoying my adventures here. I think once the new school year settles down, I should be going out and doing some things. That would be nice!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lara...I'm guessing a question about why you're white would lead you to realize you're not in Kansas anymore...Definitely not a question you'd get in Benicia! I love reading your tales, and I miss you at school too. Be well.

Danielle said...

Awe! What would happen if I sent you a copy of Little Red Riding Hood? Can we have a do-over?

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...