Tuesday, August 3, 2010

So Far, So Good....


The last couple of days have been a blur!! The cats did great on the plane! Sure, they hated every minute of it, but I was expecting that! Did I mention that I was planning on bringing my two cats to the village? Yes, I am....hey - I'm halfway there actually!!

I like Anchorage. But what I've really liked is the people here. Everyone is really nice and they all have a great sense of humor. I've been laughing and having a lot of fun. Okay, the inservice is still an inservice. *Shocking secret alert - teachers don't like sitting down all day stuck listening to lectures!!* But the information is interesting and it's always good to get new ideas to try out.

I really like my hotel. I have a roommate, which worried me with my two cats. My cats have boundary issues and I really don't like them getting in someone else's space. But I'm staying in a suite with two bedrooms. I even have my own bathroom!! And housekeeping won't come in my room with the cats loose (which doesn't bother me one little bit) so it's been really cool here.

It's raining and about 66 degrees today. But it doesn't feel cold yet. It gets dark about 11:30 p.m. so I am seeing some darkness. The picture of me was taken about 10 p.m. so you can see it's pretty light out....

My welcome dinner was really well done. The food was tasty and it was held in the Alaskan Native Heritage Center. On the way there, I was looking for moose. I really want to see one. Anyways, they brought in some Eskimo dancers for entertainment. After a few dances, they invited anyone who wanted to to come up and dance. I really wanted to try it. I was chicken at first (the belly dancer in me was calling!!) but I saw some other people were going up and I thought, "Why not?". So in front of my new co-workers and bosses, I went up and tried to keep up. I got compliments afterwards so I don't think I made a complete fool out of myself.

I have some things I have to take care of while I'm in Anchorage before I leave for the village (Friday afternoon).
1) Get a cell phone (there's only one kind that works in the bush & it's not a major service
2) Go shopping for food
3) Get fingerprints redone (sheesh!!!)
4) Get Alaskan Driver's License

And I still have a couple days of inservices...but I still have time....whew!! I'm pretty busy these days!!!

No comments:

Full Circle

Ten years ago, I left for an adventure teaching in rural Alaska. I stayed for 3 years. I experienced complete isolation, a completely new wa...